Tuesday 23 October 2012

The 1920s - Wearing a Lace Front

Filet crochet lace was very popular in the 1920s. We're not talking about the Flappers so much here, but in mainstream women's fashion. The Flappers get all the press these days, but as far as I can find out, most young women weren't Flappers.

Many women wore beautiful filet crochet over blouses. Sometimes these tied at the sides over a blouse, sometimes they buttoned. This garment is sometimes called a sweater.


Filet lace over blouse and dressing jacket.

I was quite fascinated to see garments which were simply described as a "front". The garment below appears to just slip on over the head, presumably over a blouse



 



















This next garment is also described as a front. It looks to me like a vest or under garment, but I guess it may have been worn over a blouse.
I don't suppose there are many elderly women left who could tell us about this. I would place my bets on underwear for this last one.
Here are two more filet lace over blouses.

This one has attractive side button fastening.

This one has a matching hat band!
What do you think about the "front"? Please add your comment and let me know.

About 30 years ago I made myself a filet lace short sleeved top for the summer in cotton, with a floral motif front and back. I really liked it, but it was a bit tight for me, so as the years wore on, I stopped wearing it very much, but I kept it because it was pretty, and because I had made it. About five years ago my then 20 year old daughter claimed it, and she is still wearing it. I will try to get a photo of it from her.

The photos are from "The Newest Knitted and Filet Crocheted Sweaters", series no.16, by Mary E. Fitch, published in the USA sometime in the 1920s.
And also "Desirable Designs in Crochet and Knitting," by Ella Allan, 1922, St Kilda (Mellbourne)

No comments:

Post a Comment