1930-1934"Silhouette: Slim, narrow, longer skirts, natural waist; from 1933: wider shoulders.
Bodice: Semi-fitted, bias cut, narrow belts.
Neckline: Low, cut away from the neck, ties and scarves popular.
Sleeves: Inset, long fitted, bias cut, inset panels, flared cuffs.
Skirt: Slim, clinging, intricate seaming, bias cut, from 1934: mid-calf length.
Fabrics: Silk and wool crepe, silk georgette, satin, panne vlevet, organdie.
Trimmings: Top-stitching, contrast fabric insertions, large buttons.
Colour: Two-tone: black and white, brown and cream, navy and white.
Accessories: Small hats worn at an angle, gauntlet gloves, clutch bags, silk stockings, shoes with high heels.
|Ruffle Neck Jumper - 1936|
1935 -1939Silhouette: Slender, small hips, natural waist, padded shoulders.
Bodice: Semi-fitted, natural waist, padded shoulders.
Neckline: High round, small neat collars, shoulderwide collars
Sleeves: Long inset, short puff.
Skirt: Flared, straight with inverted pleat,; from 1939 - knee length.
Fabric: Silk georgette, lightweight linen and wool, wool tweed.
Trimmings: Saddle stitching, contrast colour collars and cuffs, lace collars and cuffs.
Colour: Dark cream, mustard, grey, navy blue, brown, black.
Accessories: Small, mannish hats, gauntlet gloves, clutch bags, shoulder bags, twotone shoes with high, thick heels." (Peacock)
Underwear and Sleepwear
- Above thigh
- Hat brims now folded back to display the forehead
- Hats had brims
- "Streamlined" Art Deco jewellery
- T - strap shoes
- By 1933, hats becoming small
- Costume jewellery popular, African and cubist designs, gold and silver plate, enamel and tortoiseshell
- Fezzes, berets, tiny and enormous hats
- Profile hat
- Three quarter length gloves
|One Piece Underwear - 1930s|
Hair & Make-Up
- Hair was still cut short, and often blonde
- Eyebrows were very fine, or shaved off and pencilled in
- Lips were dark
- The English "drape suit" popular - broad but unpadded shoulders, moderate lapels, tapered sleeves and nipped waist
- High-waisted, double pleated trousers supported by suspenders
- Neatly cut waistcoat
- Sports jackets increasingly popular
- Sports shirts, such as striped jersey sailor shirts, polo shirts, white knittted tennis shirts, "dishrag shirt" which laced at the neck.(1933)
- Summer weight suits in light fabrics
|Shirley Temple frock - 1936|
- Traditional layettes
- Raglan sleeves by 1936.
- Collars on matinee jackets.
"20th Century Fashion: The Complete Sourcebook,"by John Peacock.
1993; London; Thames and Hudson, p.228