Fashion in the 1920s was characterised by:
Chanel revolutionises women's fashion
- "Silhouette: Elongated, shapeless, lower waistline, shorter skirt.
- Bodice: Unfitted tube to low waist, over unboned corset.
- Neckline: Various V-shapes, boat-shaped, low round.
- Sleeves: Kimono, raglan, dolman, long inset gathered into cuffs.
- Skirt: Ankle, mid-calf and below knee length; straight, flared
- Fabric: Silk and wool jersey, crepe-de-chine, silk georgette.
- Trimmings: Fur, embroidered ribbon, beaded and sequinned embroidery.
- Colour: Bright, emerald green, acid yellow, royal blue, purple or pale and natural.
- Accessories: Large hats with drooping brims, brimless cloches, short gloves, small bags with chain handles, lightweight shoes."
|Crocheted cloche hat from 1923|
"Silhoette: Long, shapeless, low waist, no bust, short skirt.
Bodice : Unfitted tube to hip level.
Neckline: V-shaped, low round, cowl.
Sleeves: Kimono, raglan, dolman, some sleeveless models.
Skirt: From 1925: just below the knee; from 1929: longer or uneven hems, handkerchief points.
Fabric: Silk and wool jersey, crepe-de-chine, silk georgette, satin.
Trimmings: Fur, monkey fur, large buttons, all-over sequin embroidery.
Colour: Bright pure, pale, subdued, dramatic combinations.
Accessories: Cloche hats, small bags, clutch bags, long glass bead necklaces and earrings, silk stockings, lightweight shoes."
- Wall Street crash - skirts are longer again