Wednesday 17 June 2015

Beetle Wings For Lady Macbeth


A while ago in a post about Edwardian  needlework, I mentioned beetle wing embroidery. Today, I was very interested to read this article about the painstaking restoration of Victorian actress Ellen Terry's beetle wing embroidered dress which she wore for her role as Lady Macbeth. She was famously painted in this role by John Singer Sargent.

Where Beauty Transcends Time: The Archaeology of a Dress -- Secret History -- Sott.net: http://www.sott.net/article/226601-Where-Beauty-Transcends-Time-The-Archaeology-of-a-Dress

It's comforting for me to know that there are other people out there besides myself who take on crazy time consuming repair projects out of a desire to restore an item to its original beauty. It looks like I missed my calling as a costume conservator.

No comments:

Post a Comment